Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ride home from work

130 feet. That's the difference in my starting altitude and finishing altitude when I ride home from work according to my trusty HR monitor. However, it's not flat by any means; after looking at the data, I learned there is approximately 2600 feet of climbing in the 43 mile route! Note: I'm not the fastest climber in the world, the country, the state, or in Bloomington. I decided to make the trip for the 2nd time this year as the high was 55 degrees, and driving in with my husband saved a car trip.

I couldn't remember my milestone times from last year--like when I cross a certain intersection or pass by a particular barn. I knew I wasn't far off. However, in the last stretch of road (the almost flat stretch), I was flying! Yes, I had enough strength in my legs after the hills to pedal hard and pedal fast. I looked at the monitor, my HR was rather high, but I didn't feel like I was going to explode?!? What's wrong with this picture? After a miserable ride only 2 weeks before (where I just know my performance was due to a goblin that had latched on to my rear wheel), I was in a zone. Did I mention my intense workout the night before? My legs hurt, but they were still pumping!

None of this was making any sense. I didn't care. When I approached my house, I realized I was close to a PR--in fact, I was only 3 minutes off. I can blame that on 2 stoplights, can't I?

Feeling rather good about myself, I was somewhat deflated after someone pointed out the heavy tailwind that accompanied me part of the way. Nevertheless, there's a lesson here. Always attempt PRs on days with great tailwinds!

No comments: