Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When races are postponed

With the Versailles race being postponed the last 2 weekends due to rain, I've been filling my time with more riding. Kudos to the race director for calling off the races in the muddy conditions. While none of us are afraid of mud, the trail system is quite new from hundreds of volunteer work hours and cannot survive the numerous bicycle tires going over it when wet.

So, the girls (and Charlie) headed to Nebo Ridge and Hickory Ridge (a first for me) to get some mtb time and turned Sunday into a 70-mile tour of Morgan county. Some of these were also new roads for me. The wind forecast said 5-10 out of the northwest. In reality, it was out of the northwest for a while, until we turned east at which point the wind oscillated and blew from the east. Again, when we turned south, it was relentless blowing in our faces until we turned west. We only thought that was wind out of the south. No, when we turned west we were blasted! In the last 5 miles, I wanted to limp back to town. So, I slowed while the girls graciously met my turtle pace.

Last night's recovery ride was spectacular. I kept the chain on my little ring in the front and was spinning when I could, coasting when I was going faster. I thought of Thurston's e-mails and how much they crack me up. His weekend ride reports on Mondays are too funny and inspirational. I practiced riding no-handed to learn balance and to do my victory salute in case I ever cross the finish line first. I did one-legged drills to improve technique. Previously, I had done these on a trainer--the road bike is much different and definitely shows I need work. Also, I pedaled slowly over the bridges to check out the creek beds. Only twice did I think, "I would really like to ride my mtb up a dry creek bed someday."

So, if the forecast is clear, Versailles is the next race. In the mean time, it's all good.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

I'm tired of rain! We better get the race in this weekend.