Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"There's no reason to rush into hell"

-Phil Liggett, commenting on a slow moving Paris-Roubaix Peleton

Yet here we are in our own purgatory suffering from what Cheryl calls, PTD: Post Tour Depression. Along with some of my friends, I have an emptiness now when I am home and the television is off. I actually sent a text of concern to one friend to see how she was coping after Contador's victory in France. Only 49 more weeks until the 2010 TDF. In celebration, I listed my top 10 Phil Liggett quotes below.

Meanwhile, I have to find (another) way to keep the deer out of my garden. The tops of all the plants were chewed off this morning yet some were still yielding produce. AND, if I could keep them away--far away--from my car, I'd appreciate it too. Just sayin'.

After learning a new word today, I think my new strategy will be to adopt a megalomaniacal approach to mountain biking. Perhaps, then, I will have the gumption and confidence to overcome obstacles on the trail. (Note: this will greatly impact my trash talk that already fills the rides.)

But the highlight of the week was the annual Odon Old Settler's Parade. Tradition calls for supper at the grandparents' house then outside to watch old cars, tractors, and wanna-be floats drive at 3 mph down the road. Is it just me or has creativity in parades been lost? Instead of decorated trailers, dressed up people, and shriners, participants drive trucks with hand-written signs duct-taped to the side.

Case in point: A truck w/ balloons. No other signage. WTH??? Why are you throwing candy at us? Who do you represent? Now we are bewildered. Should we even eat your candy?



Granted, the community aspect was well-represented what with both firetrucks, the police car, the county ambulance, and other noise-makers at the front (another rant: why have sirens at full bore with kids around? Doesn't it damage their little ears?); here is the H.S. football team with my brother in the foreground. But they don't throw candy; they sit and look cool.

Quick note: My brother has served two tours of duty in Iraq and one in Bosnia. Think of our friends and loved ones who are overseas.




Speaking of school spirit, my driver's ed instructor/typing teacher shows off his miniature horses every year. Just behind him is Jason's uncle (in the red shirt) with some bigger horses.

My niece and nephew in-law are in the foreground.



But the most anticipated (by my older bro, not pictured, and me) is the guy on the John Deere who always does a finger-pointing wave at my grandfather. The entire gesture lasts half a minute! I'll never understand the unspoken farmer language. Unfortunately, my photo was corrupt after a mishap involving my dad falling out of a chair. Drat! Nevertheless, here is the solemn man mid-point to my grandfather, who responds, every year, with a head nod.

Stupid pole.


Alas, we went to see my father-in-law who suffered a broken heel bone this week. We were surprised by the new decorations: Reglor lamps circa 1951. They are quite fantastic, in a way. I'm rather intrigued by them but not sure I could put them in my own living room. Perhaps he'll end up on the Antique Road Show to learn their value. Maybe in the in-law apartment in the new building isn't such a bad idea.


That's the news...and here are the favorite Phil Liggett quotes (in no particular order):

--He's wearing the mask of pain

--Are they on the road to stardom, or are they lambs to the slaughter? - early breakaway at Paris-Roubaix 1988

--The riders are starting to get a bit twitchy now!

--Well, are you coming or not and the answer is NOT! - "The look" from Armstrong to Ullrich

--Now the boys are enjoying a nice slice of tailwind.

--Don't look back. You know what's going on back there because you just left.

--That is twenty-one miles of pure purgatory.

--He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way!

--He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage - actually attributed to Paul Sherwin.

--Ready, for an arduous ride into treacherous territory.


http://www.liggettfan.com

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Phil_Liggett

3 comments:

cheryl said...

those lamps are AWESOME!

great post. I miss the Tour, and Phil, et all.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nostagic post. I miss Indiana! I miss you too.

Stan said...

Ham is still better than bacon.