Sunday, July 12, 2009

Projects and Spoiled Brats

I'm starting to think of myself as a spoiled brat. For the past month, my husband has been working tirelessly to ready our house for an appraisal that will aid in getting funds for a new building, or man-cave. Being impatient, wanting to spur economic growth in our country, and seeking immediate gratification, we started the new building already thus multi-tasking our projects. In the interim, I get to ride my bicycle and play with my friends because I lack what he calls, 'skilled labor.' No complaints here.

I've admitted the new building is for his stuff, but I can't keep my mind from wandering. In a few months, I will have space to house a brand new car! (thankfully he doesn't read this blog!) But even more intriguing is the thought of a new Madone hanging in the garage. Ohh...just the thought of a new road bike today made my mind jump to the Paragon 29er frame in my basement. Yes, I got the replacement frame after my old one cracked (thank you, Gary Fisher), and I'm thinking of turning it into a race bike! I already have a race bike. But how sweet would the Big Wheel be with a 1x9 (or 2x10, I'm flexible) carbon set up with light wheels???? Again, I admit that today's ride on the 29er was a little tough with my tractor tires on. I could go on and on, but it still makes me think I'm a spoiled brat.

I guess one hesitation is my lack of 'skills' as noted above. I've had two bikes break on me in one week. Perhaps I should learn some maintenance first. During some intense intervals with the girls, I noticed some shifting trouble on the road bike. It continued for the next 3 days; when I showed Jason, the cable came out of the shifter. It had frayed and come loose. It must happen after thousands of miles (or shifts). I bet I wore it out. And my mt bike is at the Doctor's this week with a seized front fork; again my mistake for getting water down in the fork while cleaning it after a muddy race. That's OK. My legs are sore from intervals and working on projects (with my unskilled labor); I may not even want to ride again this year, er, I mean again today.

Anyway, despite the chaos, I feel great. We are fortunate. Below are some pics of the projects.

OK--It's not a project, but I would like to put one in the garage when finished



Our first garden put in just before the other projects started


MMMMMM Peppers



Starting the new roof over the shanty


Almost finished


Before excavation for the new building


Clearing trees


Footer poured


Compacting gravel


Radiant heat tubing


1 comment:

cheryl said...

Wow! That's some serious construction! I think its a bonus not to have too much skilled labor, its a good excuse for staying out of the way (in other words, time to go play!). Great minds think alike!