Monday, August 10, 2009

2 steps back, 1 step forward

What is the word for over analyzing things? Please no clinical definitions; I'd rather have the slang. I'm guilty of it on an emotional level. If I could only apply the same thought processes at work, I could solve the world's problems. Nah. I would just go full circle as I have done in the last 24 hours.

DINO #5, Versailles, finally came to fruition. I was indifferent when I arrived; it had been postponed so many times. I didn't have race fever. But the good trail reports kept my spirits up that I would FINALLY have a good race. The riders were sparse. Most had either dismissed the venue or raced in neighboring Kentucky. Nevertheless, my heart was beating at 96 beats per minute on the start line when any other day sitting around it would be 60 bpm. Funny how it leaps to 180 just 2 minutes after the start. And it didn't stop there.

I quickly maxed out (as always) and seemed to be in the 190s every time I looked at my monitor. Was it the heat? Because I should be going a LOT faster than I was for that high of a HR. I should note the temps were in the 90s--the second time Indiana has seen a warm week this year. We've been lucky.

I succumbed to the heat and all the evil thoughts associated with racing. It was hard pushing myself; I didn't see the value in it. Less than half-way through the race I quit. No, I didn't stop pedaling; I quit racing. What's the point? IT'S HARD. IT HURTS. I would just finish. IT'S HOT. In fact, I would quit racing altogether. Did I mention IT'S HARD? Yep--no more racing for me next year. Yeah, the doubts enter everyone's minds at some point, but I took it a step further.

Thankfully, I brought chamois creme. Which god or patron saint is responsible for this product? I shall offer a sacrifice for its benefit. If you have to ask what it is, never mind. I actually told Meredith during the race that it was a highlight.

So, after an hour and 20 minutes of bad attitude, I decided to give it a go. I raced! I was sweeping through the corners while NOT braking, flying on the downhills, shifting exactly when I wanted to, and having fun. I put in a good 17-minute effort, rested for 2-3 minutes then put in another effort to the finish. It felt good. Now, I have to maintain that for 2 hours instead of 1 hour. (I did try at the start for 30-40 minutes as well. It is the middle part where I start to lose it.)

In 24 hours, I've gone full circle of not wanting to race to fixing up my 29er again. As I type, Mr. Wonderful is cleaning and fixing up the Chris King 29er wheels for next weekend's DINO #6 in Logansport. I'll see how I feel this weekend before making decisions for next year.

Frequently, when I return home from bike rides, I find things in my yard or driveway. Below is the latest.....

Peace out. Keep it fun! I know I still love the bike; and that is rewarding enough.


When I arrived, Mr. Wonderful and his uncle had just finished unloading our new forklift from the trailer. Since it doesn't run, he was using the bobcat as a brake. Seriously?!?!?!?

Here's a close-up of the new beast. Super Sport. We are so lucky.


This pic is for Randi. Know what's happening to my hand?


My skin is becoming disfigured from the power of the Xlerator!! It was too hot to stick my feet under there. Otherwise I'd have more pics.



Ahhhhhhhhh!
Here's a pic of the sketchy waterfall that freaked us out the first time. This time was effortless. The pic makes it look like a piece of cake, but just to the right is a huge, perilous drop-off!



Sweet trails at Versailles.
(Waterfall pic & trail pic were lifted from the HMBA site)

1 comment:

cheryl said...

awesome forklift! and excellent action shot of the xcelerator!

now why would you make decisions about next year next week? seems a little early for that.