Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Kauai, Hawaii - continued, Days 3 & 4

Link to Days 1 & 2

Day 3 - The hike. This day was our scheduled day to hike 11 miles to the end of the trail along the Na Pali coast. Again, our group got a late start. After eating breakfast at the Java Kai, we realized the Corolla had a low tire. Art drove the car to the next town to get air, fix-a-flat, and a tarp that would serve as a ceiling for our "kitchen" when the impending rains came.

The view from this trail was breathtaking! Throughout the trail, we came upon vistas providing spectacular views of the ocean. On several occasions we saw whales. The weather was perfect. Unfortunately, the trail was more difficult than we thought. We were averaging about 1 mph with our big packs, coffee stops, food stops, etc. At this rate, we would be hiking in the dark.











Also in this time frame, I started questioning whether or not I was going to die. Yes, the pack was heavy. No, my legs weren't sore. Parts of the trail were dangerous! They seemed to narrow and disappear at the exact spot that offered a 1500 foot drop to the ocean. I exaggerate, I know. Nevertheless, in some places, the trail was off camber providing a nice cliff slide. Walking these parts stressed me out. I started questioning what I would do in the fabled "sketchy" section at mile 9. Hikers on their way back laughed at our goal to make it to the end with such a late start. They also told their stories of having almost died while negotiating the "sketchy" part after a rain storm; their hiking poles were life savers. I didn't have hiking poles. I was going to surely die.

At the second river crossing, which was mile 6, the group decided people were right to have scoffed. We scoped out places to camp. Fortunately, we found a structure of some sort with a metal roof and picnic table just as the rain started. We proceeded to pump water from the river and started supper. After eating, it was still raining! Giving up on the idea of digging out tents and setting them up in the rain, the grand plan was to lay our therma-rests together in the shack. We would sleep out in the open! The tarp now became a ground mat for our therma-rests. It was a cold night, yet cozy, and the winds dried out the trail rather nicely. Art has a great picture of this set up. If I get his pics, I'll post later.

I have to mention Ted. He was a fellow camper and aspiring law student who spent the evening with us eating dinner and playing Cosmic Wimpout. Ted had gathered coffee beans just before meeting with us and took them through each step of the brewing process during supper(shucking, drying, toasting, roasting, etc.). The next morning, he shared his home brew with all the coffee drinkers who gave it two thumbs up. Great job to Ted!

Day 4 - The meltdown. The guys had talked me in to continuing the trip and volunteered to carry my pack through any sketch parts. However, the trail opened up even more after camp, and I had so much reservation after a mile or so in that I told Jason I simply didn't want to be on the trail. Through tears I explained my predicament and apologized. (Seriously, who cries on vacation in tropical paradise? Sheesh.) He understood and adamantly supported my decision to turn around. Being a dutiful husband, he returned with me. This was the second night we stayed in a hotel. A hot shower felt great after the mud-soaked trails.

Link to Days 5 & 6
Link to Days 7 - 9
Link to Days 10 - end

2 comments:

cheryl said...

so, mtb wouldn't have been too much fun on those trails? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent story. Can't wait for the next installment.