Saturday, March 7, 2009

Another good ride

With 22 mph wind gusting to 32 mph from the SSW, I left with a group of riders to embark on our 60K journey around Lake Monroe. Part of the group would do the 100K, and the rest of us could decide if we wanted to tack on some miles at different junctions. The pack was 11 strong as we rolled through town towards the south. I said out loud, “this is what rolling out of town should feel like.” We were in a nice group strolling through neighborhoods; sometimes riders like to race right from the gate. I like to warm up a little before any attempts to reach Zone 5.

Naturally, the group separated on the long hill after the causeway with me at the back. (Yes, I still know that hills are my biggest weakness and their only mission in life is to crush me. It’s not going to happen this year, hills. Get used to me.) Our pack was now composed of 5 riders. Of course the smaller group had to work a little harder now but we soon turned onto a country road that gave us a strong side wind instead of a head wind. During a particularly strong gust, we were all leaning so much into the wind it looked goofy.

Along this stretch I learned that we had been riding with 1 Pro rider and 2 Junior National Champions (1 of which is a teammate and was still in our group taunting us to race him up the hills). What more motivation do I need? I am constantly surrounded by winners: pro riders (on the mountain bike this is more common), national champions, collegiate victors, xterra title holders, DINO series winners, etc. And among these riders are fantastic coaches, friends, and interesting people.

One of the reasons I like cycling is the free advice everyone gives. This bonus was true in sailboat racing as well. Despite being your competitors or because they are friends and training partners, other riders suggest tips and strategies to make me (and others) better riders/racers. I doubt they do this to stiffen the competition; rather, it’s a genuine love for biking and growing. Last year the girls held an informal “guest rider program” where we invited locals to teach us some new skills and hone our current ones. While we only did a couple of sessions, I still get people asking me if we’re still looking for volunteers. How cool is that? Share the knowledge.

No comments: