Friday, November 20, 2009

Not a lot of news

Last weekend was superb for exercise, high 60s in November. Those days are special; perhaps not as special as warm, sunny days in December or January. Nevertheless, Saturday I headed out for a 5-mile jog.

Living on top of a ridge, my first 2.5 miles are down hill. Naturally, I had the misfortune of having to stop at "Creepy House" when one of the 3 barking German Shepherds came out to the road to greet me with snarling teeth. The lady who owns it yelled for it to return home after I had stopped and turned to face the mutt ready to put my foot down its throat. Amazingly, the dog abruptly halted on the pavement, slid a little looking very awkward, minded her command and fell back.

I continued in peace until I reached the 2-mile point. Does everyone mark their routes like I do? The 2-mile point is denoted by the 2nd pole past the old lady's house with the garden. (The 1-mile point is Creepy House.) Anyway, a cow in the pasture had his big head through the fence wire and proceeded to stare. I've never been stared at like that before! His big eyes and the way his head followed me down the road creeped me out almost as much as Creepy House. Yes, I was looking behind me while running. My mind pondered all the things I should say aloud to the cow while I reminded myself to avert my eyes. Don't want it charging, right? As if.

So, the return trip featured the same beast eating the greener grass on the other side of the fence. As I jogged by, it turned & engaged the creepy stare, stopped chewing, and followed my every move. The long grass was literally hanging out of its mouth looking like a green, misplaced mustache was there was so much of it sticking out. It was hilarious. At that point I was wishing I had my camera b/c I think Cheryl would have enjoyed the pic of a silly-looking cow.

After the uneasy human-animal episode, I came upon the house that had the flannel-jacket, thick mustache & caterpillar hat wearing dude who was working on his Chevy. The moment I passed, he started revving up the engine multiple times. Was it for me or for him? I'm not sure. Nevertheless, I wanted to tell him he wasn't hitting on all 8.

Then--THE HILL. This thing is steep! In my car, I have to shift down to 2nd gear to get up; I managed to NOT walk it and found 3 more dudes at the top wondering why anyone exercises, let alone on THAT hill.

Once more I had to go by Creepy House. This time, the man & woman were both outside with 2 of 3 dogs unchained. Luckily, by the time I got to the house, he had encased both dogs in the cab of his crusty pickup. Whew.

The last 3/4 of a mile produced a tailwind. Ahhhhhh.

Sunday's adventure was a long mtb ride. I had a fantastic day technically and physically. I messed up technically only when I tried to choose other-than-normal lines through the rocks. I was trying to mix it up and do new things, but floundered a couple of times. Oh well. It's good to see what works and what doesn't.

On a whim, I decided to purchase a ticket for New Moon tonight to watch w/ my neighbors. My buddy Jade is a huge fan. I liked the books, so now I'm succumbing to pre-teen hysteria and will stay up past my bedtime. Party on!

No comments: