Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hocus Focus

A post is long over due. Unfortunately, I haven't enough focus to write about anything.
I thought of a title called "The Biggest Loser," but I don't really think of myself like that. After placing last in both Short Track and the XC race @ Muscatatuck, I thought it was a rather funny description. Short Track was hard. During the XC race I felt great! But my bike didn't. I DNF'ed due to a mechanical. It's kind of a cop out, I know. I could have kept going if I had left my chain in one gear; I'm not willing to do that. I like gears. So, my mental frustration exceeded my willingness to continue.

But that's been my biggest problem lately--my willingness to continue. I call it--BURN OUT. After 7 months of hard, dedicated training, I accomplished my big goal this year. I have had a successful first half of the race season--by my standards (and perhaps by others' as well). So now, I'm just "doing some time" to finish out the year as my focus is no longer on racing.

Sad? Perhaps. That's OK. I can accept my lack of motivation. I don't have the internal drive that pushes some people. If I were really that committed to racing, I would stop feasting on pizza and ice cream all the time paying attention to my power to weight ratio. I would be more committed than I have been this year. Ahhh--to strike the balance between fun and work. I'm going back to the fun side now. (Not that it's been dreadful or anything; I've learned much and am quite pleased with my efforts.)

Quick race report: I participated in a race in Chattanooga on Raccoon Mountain. AWESOME trail. Another bad race for me, though. Lack of training and proper gearing made this one hurt.

Note to self: When "mountain" is in the title of the location, a granny gear might be a good option!

In fact, I almost cried (seriously) at the finish at the sheer relief of being done. The trail has everything--rocks, roots, uphills, descents, switchbacks, cool, loud spectators, etc. I ran out of water with about 40+ minutes left and had been rationing some up to that point. Doh! Not used to the "longer" races--those being over 2 hours. But the location is certainly worth a road trip to just ride. Anyone? Also great road riding in those there parts of the country.

Thanks to MRL for the pics.



Confession: I have another excuse for my lack of focus. Mr. Wonderful and I are dog owners again! I've been wanting a dog since our Maximus Breeden (RIP) died last year. (He was the bestest dog.) I can tear up just thinking about him. Of course Lucy followed Max to the grave 3 weeks later with a completely unrelated illness.

Anyway, meet Doc. He's a rescued Belgian Malinois who has some rather special needs. Being neglected and abused, he has some issues. We're going to try to give him a wonderful home and lots of love. We've been on several hikes. Despite his issues, he's a very obedient dog and has come a long way in the 5 months he spent at a trainer's house after his rescue. I can't imagine the patience and nurturing required to bring him to the state he's at now. I also can't believe the heartless people of the world that could do what they've done to animals and humans alike. May karma get them.
















No comments: