Monday, March 22, 2010

Never too old to learn

After having a warranty frame sitting in my house for a few months, I finally got the urge to build it up. With a superb day for trail riding, Saturday offered me an awesome ride followed by 2 days of guidance in tearing down my old GF Paragon and building up the new frame. Deciding to race Big Wheel again this year, I'm stoked about all the new stuff! More explanations later on my recent expenditures. But for the interim, pics are below.

What I learned in a nutshell:

1) No matter how careful, when doing any kind of mechanical task, you will bang your knuckles/fingers on something.

2) 5 mm is the most popular allen wrench size for the bolts on my bike.

3) Don't take too many parts out of the shifter when installing new cables. Oops.

4) Being told while building a bike for the first time, "Use some common sense" should, apparently, not spark any frustration. Granted, for the most part, Mr. Wonderful was super patient with me.

5) Some bolts get greased; some bolts get loc-tite (sp?). I still don't know which bolts should get which goop. When I asked, the answer was along the lines of, "Loc-tite the ones you don't want to fall out."

6) Last year's green ergo grips don't necessarily go with the new color scheme.

7) It's best to have your own tools and know how to use them. (This is my second endorsement of expenditures on tools!)

8) 3M tape is quite handy to prevent cable rub on the frame.

9) Having a husband that rides bikes makes for good component options from all the spare parts. (Note Bontrager xXx Lite seatpost. It wasn't mine originally.)

10) The shop is totally worth it.





1 comment:

cheryl said...

PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

or am I supposed to say something knowledgeable about some of your components (which I can't say since I don't have a clue).

but it does look fab!