Saturday, April 25, 2009

Warm days are here!

At last! I'm so grateful for warm weather, and today was that day. With temps in the 80s, I ventured to BCSP for a 3+ hour mountain bike ride w/ Meredith. One goal was to work on my technical skills. I had some trouble in the usual spots on the newer trails, but one big achievement was an unimpressive mastery of left-hand turns.

A few years ago, my husband spent some dough on a YZF 1000 motorcycle. Out of spite, I decided to buy one for me (Kawasaki ZR7). However, I had never driven a motorcyle which required some immediate training on my part. I signed up for a 3-day Motorcycle Safety Foundation class and learned basic operating techniques on a Honda 125. During this class, the instructors noted that most people are more comfortable turning either right or left and not as comfortable with the other direction. There is NO REASONABLE explanation for this. It's all in the head. Somehow, I developed an irrational problem with left-hand turns/curves in biking.

A couple of tight, downhill switchbacks (to the left) have always made me do a one-foot scuttle through the turn. But not today. Meredith observed my incorrect technique and offered some pointers. Lo and behold, I made both switchbacks with ease. IT'S ALL IN THE HEAD! jeez. Who was it that said, "We are the biggest limiters in our performance."--or something like that. He/She was absolutely right.

When I got home, I found my husband doing yard work. Finding a treasure in our woods, he left me a nice surprise in the front yard. It must be love. Yay to warm weather!




1 comment:

cheryl said...

that's quite a nice lawn ornament!

nice job on the lefties